With contract employment comes the need to understand the inherent contract. It may be drawn up by attorneys or it may simply be an email exchange, but when you agree to freelance work you are agreeing on a contract for yourself and your skills. Knowing how to negotiate the contract to get fair fees and set a proper tone of trust can be the most important aspect of the job.
1. Know when you need a signed piece of paper… and when you don’t.
2. Know what you’re worth before negotiations start.
3. Research the client before you begin negotiating with them.
4. You can negotiate more than just money.
5. Be reasonable.
6. Listen to the potential employer’s needs.
7. Communicate with care and guard your emotions.
8. Don’t be afraid to negotiate.
9. Don’t rush it.
10. It’s not about winning or losing.